Monday, March 14, 2016

#MicroblogMondays: Don't Should on Me

Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is?Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

"Don't should on me."  That's something a boss I used to have liked to say, addressing the "shoulds" that we put on ourselves and that others put on us?  But what about the "shoulds" that "should" be there?  That's the question that was raised by one of my clients today, who had had a miscarriage at the same time I did.  She and I both SHOULD be able to be holding our babies now.  Our babies SHOULD be able to live.  We SHOULD be able to see what our babies will do with life.  I didn't have an answer for her, because I'm still trying to answer that for myself.  She's single now, but I SHOULD be able to conceive again.  I SHOULD be able to have a rainbow baby, but I don't think I ever will.

How do you cope with what "should" be and isn't?

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful post. I have no good answer, but you're right. There really is a place in this world for should, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete