Sunday, May 15, 2011

After-Action Report

The sermon went well this morning.  I still don't think it's as good as the one I did last year, but people said that they appreciated the message about taking the steps that we can to change the world.  People responded positively to my self-disclosure with regards to the infertility.  Some people thanked me for being open about the issue, and 2 women shared that they had dealt with infertility, too.  One woman that I don't know well told me that her 4-year-old is her "miracle baby."

On another note, I've had a couple of interesting experiences watching movies tonight.  For one thing, I realized that I need my own copy of Bring It On.  I came to this conclusion when I was watching it on MTV again tonight and I flipped off the tv as I went to the kitchen during another commercial for 16 and Pregnant.  The other interesting thing has been watching Julie and Julia while thinking about and writing in my own blog.  One thing I appreciated when I started this blog is that I got at least some support and feedback right away, unlike Julie.  Right now the movie's at where it looks like Julie and Eric might be breaking up and her mother tells her not to stop the blog, after having been negative about the blog in the beginning.  One thing I mentioned in my sermon is how my dad doesn't think I should do this blog, how he thinks I should keep my private life private.  Somehow I don't see him turning his opinion around the way Julie's mom did.

5 comments:

  1. Your dad sounds like my husband. He hates that I blog, and so do some of his family too. So, I have to watch the names that I throw around on my blog so that I'm sensitive of their privacy. bleh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you first started blogging I didn't understand why you would want to post your life for everyone & anyone to see. I believe you used to have personal blogs before this one. I still have trouble understanding a lot of what people put out there on the social media, especially those who air it all on Facebook.

    But I totally understand this one, especially now that I read it faithfully & look at comments. You are doing online what I do in person - sharing thoughts & feelings with people, truly social networking. And you know I'm all about the power of social networking. It's one of the greatest strengths women have. We learn & grow from each other, validate each other, & thus receive comfort from helping & being helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That said, I want this subject to stand alone, & I'd love to see you post on this subject some time soon. I highly suggest to all of you that you change your wording - instead of infertility, how about fertility that hasn't yet manifested. You could choose a word to pare it down - unconfirmed or unverified or inconclusive or unexhibited or unmanifested or unoccurred fertility. To me, "infertility" says it's not possible & the other says it hasn't happened yet. I believe you have to be careful of the messages you put out there because we often get what we broadcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my family doesnt even know about my blog. I'm not sure I want them too. I like having my own private place to vent. I'm proud of you for "coming out" at church. Maybe something good will come of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm proud of you. It's not easy "coming out" about infertility.

    ReplyDelete