Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sermon

I'm outing myself and DH to my church as infertile in about 10 hours.  Some of the people we go to church with know about the infertility, but many do not.  Some of that is because there are a lot of members who I don't know, either because of our merge with another church or because they have recently joined.  Some of it is because I'm not sure the members of the church who remember me as a toddler really want to think about me in the way.  A large part of it is that I did not want to spread DH's business all over the church.

As I was writing my sermon, though, I was writing about changing the world despite encountering resistance.  As DH was reading what I had so far, part of his feedback was that it would be better if it was more personal and had more background.  DH and I discussed whether or not to include this type of background in the sermon.  DH ended up not having an opinion on whether to mention it or not, so I decided to do it.  At this point, I'm more concerned about the sermon overall than I am about the infertility aspect, but we'll see how things go overall.

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck! I know when I told my pastor and his wife (they can't have kids) it seemed like the whole church knew about us somehow. Maybe it was in the way he worded things when he talked to be and other people were around. I don't know, but I sure hope today goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave. Good luck this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pastor has known for a long time, but she's really good at being discreet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it had to have gone over well, & am so eager to talk with you, see a script from your sermon - love your topic! One main reason I know it went over well is that you were talking with one branch of your true family. Some of them helped raise you! You are very loved & respected there, have been all your life :) I wish every church congregation was as much of a family!

    ReplyDelete