Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Insurance Antics

Don't worry, this isn't about my current insurance or anything that would interfere with my appointment on the 20th (22 more days!).

I was looking up something on the RESOLVE.org website, and I saw something about states that require infertility coverage of some sort by law.  I stopped in my tracks when I saw that Maryland was on there!!  I went to the page that explained further, and I saw that, since 2000, Maryland has required insurance providers that cover pregnancy-related healthcare to also cover the cost of 3 IVFs per live birth (max lifetime benefit $100K).  Now, this has no direct effect on us since there is no requirement to cover the diagnostic testing that we were having trouble paying for.  However, I do find it extremely interesting since DH's insurance from United had very specifically said that it did not cover ANYTHING related to infertility.  Not that it didn't cover anything until IVF, but that it did not cover anything at all.  Again, UMR, how I loathe thee.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I think insurance should cover IVF and fertility related issues. Good luck at your appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:30 AM

    Hi! I have United as well and my plan partially covers infertility related drugs. I think that's how they get past the mandate of having to cover infertility in general. Nice loophole, right? It's all so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete