Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Music Monday (OK, Tuesday) #13 - Makeshift Angry Salad

My freshman year of college, I was introduced to a band called Angry Salad by the guy I was dating at the time.  And I do mean introduced...he was friends with the band, so when we went to see them at the 9:30 Club, Bob, Alex, Hale, and Brian Holland (the second bass player Brian), as well as their manager, Jim.  Over the next couple of years (and through a band name change due to record label issues), I would email back and forth mostly with Bob, but also some with Hale and Jim, about everything from them opening for Vertical Horizon to date movies to karaoke and Girl Scouts!  Eventually they moved on in life and the band broke up, but two of their CDs (their self-titled debut and the one they released as *64, called You May Be Beautiful) are among the CDs I play the most.

I was originally going to post a video of their song "Coming to Grips" because of how I've been coming to grips with having to wait for my cycle.  Unfortunately, though, since they were from the days before YouTube, there are very few videos of them online and none of that song.  I will post the lyrics, though, because they're really good!  When he wrote the song, Bob's last two girlfriends had both broken up with him by saying that they were lesbian, and the song is about his reaction to that.  I'm also including the video for one of my other favorite songs of theirs, "The Milkshake Song."

Well, Cindy Oleo - the margarine girl
She says to me, "I don't like boys"
I tell her I don't like them either, she tells me I don't understand
So I stand there and I stand there, yeah, but I guess I didn't know

I didn't know any better, I didn't know she might prefer
I need an answer to my letter, is she really going out with her?

Speaking of, I've got a couple words for the author of the book of love
Never wrote a chapter about this
Now maybe there were pages I missed (I'm not that bright)
I know it was a long time ago
As I stare up at her broken window, I turn my back and I walk home
I didn't know any better, I didn't know she might prefer
I need an answer to my letter, is she really going out with her?

It would be so hard, it would take, take some time, but I've got time

In my mind I go there sometimes, in my mind I go there

All this time alone and I feel fine, I feel fine
All this time alone and I feel fine, I feel fine
In my mind, in my mind, in my mind, oh in my mind, my mind, my mind, my mind, my mind, my mind
Guess I didn't know

I didn't know any better, I didn't know she might prefer
I need an answer to my letter, is she really, really going out with her?
Going out with her?


4 comments:

  1. Hey,

    What a great band name! Angry Salad just rocks. Great music too. Thanks for commenting on my last couple of posts...means a lot, particularly at this time. Mine is not the cheeriest of subjects, I know, but reader interaction gives me a real boost.

    Sorry to hear you've had dealings with idiots lately.

    Best wishes,

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yeah...and thanks for introducing me to 'Whiskey Lullaby'- I know you said you can't listen to it, but I wasn't familiar, as Brad Paisley cuts me up anyway, 'When I Get Where I'm Going' is an impossibility for me. However, I checked that song out, and it's beautiful, like you said.

      Delete
  2. I'm suddenly very sad that I never heard of Angry Salad when they were an actual band! I love being introduced to bands I've never heard of before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the albums they do have are still really good, even if you can't see them live anymore!! The one these songs are on is on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Angry-Salad/dp/B00000IXUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333332364&sr=8-1, as is their other album as Angry Salad http://www.amazon.com/Guinea-Pig-Angry-Salad/dp/B00004RJNS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1333332364&sr=8-5

      The one they did as *64 is much cheaper as an mp3 download. http://www.amazon.com/You-May-Be-Beautiful/dp/B001A3CI6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333332980&sr=1-1

      My favorites are the first one and the third one.

      Delete