Monday, September 26, 2011

Happiness and Jittery Afraid-to-be-Excited Nervousness

So, at the end of July 2010, I fell on a set of steps at a subway station and my assembled clarinet (Buffet E-11, for those who know) fell over the railing and down to the platform.  I thought it was toast.  This clarinet was the first non-student-model instrument I had owned.  I had bought it myself when I was in college, the first time I had decided that I was enough of a musician to deserve a real instrument.  So yeah, I had enough emotion invested in my clarinet that when it broke, I was a sobbing mess.  I replaced it with an instrument of similar quality that I bought off fo CraigsList, a Selmer, but I was never really happy with it.  It just didn't play like my Buffet.  It wasn't worse, per se, but it was different enough that I wanted my Buffet.  I was finally able to make contact with a woodwind repair man that my mom used to apprentice with, and I took my Buffet in today to see if it was salvageable.  And it is!!!  It's going to cost about $350 plus whatever we can get a bell for (the bell was completely shattered) and it's going to take him a while to fix, but so much the better because that gives me time to save the money up.  I had tears in my eyes, I was so happy!!

The jittery nervousness comes in because when I go home, I'll get to see what DH's insurance options are.  My first inclination is to be excited because this is the government and the government has good insurance, but I'm scared to be excited because that has never ended well in this IF journey.  If the options aren't any better than what I have now, the prenatal vitamins are going back in the medicine bin in the closet.  No need to waste them by taking them when I can instead save them for next year when they have a chance of being useful.

4 comments:

  1. I know this was 30+ years ago, but when my mom was a govt employee, her IF treatments were covered 100% (of course, none of those treatments resulted in me; I was a surprise BFP, but still!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this was 30+ years ago, but when my mom was a govt employee, her IF treatments were covered 100% (of course, none of those treatments resulted in me; I was a surprise BFP, but still!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, a Buffet and a Selmer! Drool! I played for 7 years but only with the cheaper student models. I tried a fancy one at a music fair once and loved it so much I decided never to try one again so as not to be tempted! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the basic wood Buffet and the basic wood Selmer, but I've always been thrilled with my Buffet. I'll have the top of the line Buffet someday, but I am quite content for "someday" to be FAR off, since that Buffet is my mom's.

    ReplyDelete