Wednesday, April 04, 2012

NaBloPoMo Day 3 - Looking for Light

NaBloPoMo has a prompt every weekday to help with coming up with new poems to write about.  Today's is, "What is the best poem to read when you're feeling sad?"  There are a lot of poems that I've written when I was sad, since my strongest emotions are what trigger much of my writing, but those really aren't the best poems to read when I'm sad, because plenty of them would just make me more sad.  This one I like for this purpose, though, since it goes to that sad place but ends on a more positive note.  More from the poet-in-residence program, this one came from a prompt about sources of light.

Looking for Light

Hitting stones,
Rubbing sticks,
Playing with matches,
Searching for something to fill my life,
Something to end the abysmal darkness
In my soul.

I see candles
From church windows,
Light!
I go in,
Wondering how they got light
Into words of night,
And I see the truth.

The light is in me
If I only let it shine
And let eternal day
Into eternal night.

No comments:

Post a Comment